Water is an essential part of human life. The human body is made up of about 75% water, and constantly needs replenishing throughout the day to maintain proper function.
This is especially important during any fitness challenge, as you lose more water when you experience an increase in activity. Drinking enough water throughout the day will ensure that hydration does not get in the way of you hitting your fitness goals.
If you are participating in the Countdown to Change and are looking for clever ways to increase your water intake throughout the day, check out the tips below.
- Invest in a reusable water bottle. Having a durable and reusable bottle of water on hand not only increases your water intake, but it also saves the environment from harmful plastics. Keep the bottle with you at all times and refill it throughout the day as a way to track your intake. The average person should drink about half a gallon of water each day – and that’s before factoring in exercise!
- Infuse your water. Infusing your water with fruits and/or herbs will make your water delicious, satisfying and much more fun to drink. Additionally, citrus is an antioxidant, so drinking lemon water can boost your immune system among other benefits. Some ingredients to explore: lemons, limes, rosemary, mint, pineapple, blueberries and/or strawberries.
- Replace soda with water. If you usually drink soda, tea or other beverages, incorporate water instead. Drinking water is significantly better for you than any soda or sweetened ice tea, and will reduce any post-meal sluggishness.
- Drink water when you wake up and go to sleep. You lose water when you sleep, so make sure you are plenty hydrated before and afterwards. Warm lemon water is especially beneficial in the mornings as it is filled with vitamins and minerals and does a great job of flushing out the toxins in your body.
- Drink water before, during and after a workout. YouCoach Daniel Vega, from Youfit, advises Countdown to Change participants to make sure they have plenty of water on hand during Boot camp classes. “When you exercise, you sweat, which is great. However, because of this water loss, your blood plasma decreases. This will cause you to feel fatigue faster and become overheated.” A rule of thumb to follow is 8 ounces of water per every 20 minutes of exercise.
Team Youfit is dedicated to providing our members the support they need to accomplish goals. This includes making sure health and safety are not compromised along the way. To discuss certain health and safety precautions to take before you embark on the Challenge, reach out to your assigned YouCoach and start a conversation today.