Who hasn’t heard of the dance exercise craze that swept the globe! Zumba has taken the fitness industry by storm over the last few years with its fun, energetic workout style and it’s constantly evolving with new variations of Zumba for every fitness level. Some may think that Zumba is no more than a song and dance to supplement a “real” workout, but Zumba enthusiasts know that you can work up a sweat while getting your groove on! Here are five benefits from Zumba no matter your fitness level:
- Weight Loss: Zumba provides an effective full-body workout for every class you take. According to researchers, you can burn anywhere from 500 to 1,100-calories in just an hour depending on the intensity of the work out.
- Total Body Toning: After a 30- or 60-minute class you may notice that you feel a little sore in places you never knew existed, but that’s how you know it’s working! The various fundamental movements of a Zumba routine target several different muscle groups at once for total body toning. “You’re so busy dancing and having fun that you don’t even realize you’re getting a cardio and toning workout.” says Youfit’s National Group Exercise Director, Mindy Clarke.
- Heart Health Boost: Anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour of Zumba can really get your heart rate up, providing stellar aerobic benefits like keeping your cholesterol levels down. BONUS! With aerobic benefits come anaerobic benefits, which help you to maintain a healthy cardiovascular respiratory system as well.
- Stress Reduction: Who doesn’t need some stress relief every so often? Losing yourself in a dance routine and unplugging from the daily grind is a great way to relieve stress. Studies have shown that exercise is one of the most effective methods to reduce fatigue, improve awareness and focus, and it can enhance overall brain function. Working out also makes the body happy and improves your mood by the release of endorphins, which are chemicals that cause positive feelings throughout your body.
- Improves Coordination: Zumba involves a lot of movement in your arms and legs so even the not-so-coordinated can get a great workout. The dance routines are easy to follow with repetition, which in turn improves coordination over time and helps you feel more confident with moving your body. We encourage you to dance like nobody’s watching!
To find out more about Youfit’s Zumba classes, check your participating club’s class schedule on youfit.com and get moving!