5 Tips to Help YOU Get Back on Track!
August 10th marks National Lazy Day, the official day to do NOTHING! Perhaps your lazy day has been more like a lazy month – that’s okay! At Youfit Health Clubs, we know that everyone needs a break every once in a while, and we want you to know that we’re ready whenever YOU are ready.
Raphael Konforti – National Director of Fitness for Youfit Health Clubs – is sharing his top tricks to get you back to a happier, healthier you! Whether you’re re-setting from a day off or a month off, these 5 tips will get you back on track in no time!
- Stick to your normal routine. Your first instinct might be to try and make up for workouts you missed, or burn off some extra calories you enjoyed on your day off. The truth is that exercise and a healthy lifestyle is much more about consistency than it is about cycles of working really hard then easing off. Going all out on your workouts leads to burnout, where you’ll run the risk of entering another cycle of missing your workouts. To get long-term results take your time getting back to your normal routine.
- Spend extra time warming up. You wouldn’t hop out of bed and go straight into a set of burpees – would you? Taking a break from exercise isn’t as dramatic of a transition, but it still means your body will need extra care and attention to get going. Days of relaxation may mean lots of laying, sitting and other positions that fold your body up like a beach chair. To counteract that, spend extra time doing light stretches and low intensity cardio during your warm-up. You’ll have a better gauge on how your body feels, reduce the chance of pulling a muscle and have a more effective return to exercise.
- Start with light full-body training sessions. We’ve all experienced how strange exercising feels after a long time off. Your body needs time to relearn the movements and fire up the right muscles and stabilizers. The best way to get your body firing like a finely tuned engine is through full body workouts that go through each major movement – like squats, deadlifts, presses and rows. By engaging all of the big muscle groups, you’re telling your body it’s time to get back on track.
- Don’t get discouraged. It can be frustrating to get out of breath doing exercises you were cruising through just a couple weeks before. It’s okay. It’s natural for exercise to feel more challenging after a break. The good news is that, due to muscle memory, you’ll get back to that level of fitness faster than before. Focus on the positives – you’re back in the gym and doing something good for your body. Every visit is a victory!
- Reactivate your core. Your core was probably hitting the snooze button a lot during your time off (it’s okay if you were too!) It’s time to wake it up. A strong core is at the center of every well executed exercise. To re-build your stability and make your return to exercise easier, spend some time activating your core. Simple exercises like planks, side-planks or bird dogs fire up your core in just a couple minutes.
If you’re searching for an excuse to get back into the swing of things, look no further than Youfit’s “Back on Track Day” Open House on August 11. Celebrated at more than 115 locations nationwide, “Back on Track Day” features FREE workouts for everyone (including non-members), raffles and prizes, fun games and free YouGX group exercise classes where offered. To find your nearest location, head over to www.youfit.com.