It’s Earth Day, and what’s a better way to celebrate than with some good eats? In the spirit of going green, we’ve got a few green recipes that will blow your mind, but mostly your tastebuds. Take a short break from saving the world and try one!
Green sangria (non-alcoholic): Nothing better than a refreshing beverage from mother nature. Add a spin to your usual green juice and try out a green sangria, packed with fruits and nutrients.
- Make with: 1 part club soda + 1 part of your favorite homemade or store bought green juice.
- Garnish with green grapes + green apples and a dash of simple syrup.
Green BLT bloody mary: Nothing better than a remix on a classic drink!
- In a blender, combine:
- 4 cups green tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of parsley
- ½ cup English cucumber chunks
- 2 limes juiced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 jalapeno quartered
- 2 teaspoons horseradish.
- If non-virgin: mix with 8 oz vodka and dash of kosher salt.
Pour over ice and garnish with a small romaine lettuce leaf + 1 strip crispy turkey bacon + 2 cherry tomatoes. (Recipe from heatherchristo.com)
Green matcha pancakes: Add some spunk to your flapjacks with this recipe.
- Whip up your favorite pancake batter (according to package directions)
- Add 1-2 tbsp of matcha powder for a green look.
Serve with fresh fruit and greek yogurt.
Green eggs and herbs: Dr. Seuss was on to something. Make simple scrambled eggs with a handful of greens and spring herbs.
- In a bowl whisk together 2-3 eggs with 1 tsp olive oil and a dash of salt/pepper.
- Add ½ cup goat cheese, a handful of arugula and 1 tsp each of fresh thyme and oregano.
- Cook on medium heat in a saucepan until desired egg consistency is achieved.
Really get in the spirit and serve with avocado toast
Fava bean dip: Of course things taste better fresh, so if you can, snag some of these fresh spring beans and get ready to throw them into a bright and tangy dip.
- Grab 1 cup of shelled, fresh fava beans.
- If cooking fresh, shell the beans and throw them into a pot of boiling water for just one minute then plunge into a bowl of ice water to prevent further cooking.
- When cooled, add to a food processor or blender with the juice the following:
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp greek yogurt or goat cheese
- Handful of almonds
- Process until smooth
Garnish with fresh oregano and serve with pita chips. Then, snack away!
Pesto pizza: Make a veggie packed green pizza using your favorite store bought crust (try cauliflower crust for a grain-free, low carb option).
- Bake the cures in the oven according to package directions.
- About 3-5 minutes before the crust finishes baking, top the pizza with:
- Pesto sauce
- Fresh zucchini slices/shreds
- Spring peas
- Fresh tomatoes
- Place back in the oven to finish baking the crust and warm-up all that veggie goodness you just topped your pizza off with.
Once out of the oven, garnish with fresh chopped basil. Get ready to go green and enjoy with good friends!