The journey along this challenge to be your best “you” is a commendable one – so with that, we say, “Go YOU!”. As your partners in health, fitness, and we like to think even more than that, we’re grateful to be there for you and provide support the whole way.
We asked the best, brightest, and most certified-est (that could be a word eventually?) of Youfit’s YouCoaches to share their wealth of guidance. Sometimes despite our darndest efforts, it’s hard to make into Youfit. Especially for a boot camp when it can mean being there at a particular time (the dog doesn’t make dinner for the kids, unfortunately). But don’t despair, our Master YouCoach Brenda has just the ticket for something speedy you can do right in your own home to stay on track:
Something I recommend to all my clients is to start or end their day with multiplanar movements, which means moving in different directions. I have found that not only does this technique assist in injury prevention, but it also allows you to train your whole body.
When performing the following exercises, I remind my clients to keep their “chests out and belly button in” while maintaining a breathing pattern of inhaling through the nose and exhaling through the mouth. Get moving!
- 20 bodyweight squats to overhead reach
- 20 standing butt kicks with arms swaying by the side as if you’re running
- 20 forward steps with side rotation
Complete each exercise for 40 seconds then rest for 20 seconds before switching to the next movement. Repeat 1-2 times.
- Alternating reverse lunges
- Jump squats (if you cannot jump for any reason, perform a calf raise)
- Push-up (on knees or in a full plank position)
- Mountain climbers
Grab two cans of soup, 2-gallon jugs, a light resistance band, or dumbbells, and perform 3 sets of 10 of the following:
Stretch 30-60 seconds each:
- Reach to the floor then reach to the sky:
- Bend over to touch your toes then reach to the sky, keeping your glutes squeezed and stomach sucked in.
- Standing side to side stretch with hands overhead:
- Reach hands over your head and stretch from side to side.
- Quad stretch:
- Grab your ankle, or put your foot on a chair, and try to point your knee towards the floor.
Looking for even more personalized motivation? Speak with any member of your club’s friendly team staff about one-on-one personal training with a certified YouCoach today!