Dieting doesn’t have to be a curse word and it surely doesn’t have to be boring. Whether you’re paleo, keto, plant-based, pescatarian, or just plain confused, here’s a meal that’s sure to please even the pickiest eater: TACOS!
Caribbean cabbage tacos (*V, GF, DF, *Keto, Paleo)
- 2 lbs fresh white fish (* or sub 1 to 2 blocks diced tempeh)
- 1 tbsp Jerk seasoning
- 1 half large red onion (sliced)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large cabbage or lettuce head (pulled apart for “taco” shells)
- 1 to 2 large avocados
- To serve: lime wedges and mango salsa (*or sub regular fresh pico de gallo for keto option)
In a pan on medium heat, cook the sliced onions in the coconut oil and jerk seasoning. Cook the onions until they are translucent (about 4 minutes) then add fish and cook for about 2 to 4 minutes each on both sides or until they are cooked through. If using tempeh, cook at the same time and temperature or until lightly browned. Serve the mixture over fresh taco leaves and top with 2 to 3 thick slices of avocado with 1 to 3 tbsp of mango salsa. Use pre-made salsa or make your own combining equal parts : diced tomato, diced mango, diced pineapple, juice of 3 to 5 limes, salt, cumin, fresh chopped cilantro.
Approximately 250 calories, 22 g protein, 5 g sugar per 1 taco (using 3 oz fish per taco)
Classic Fajita Tacos (*V, *GF, DF, Paleo, Keto)
- 2 large bell peppers (green or red) sliced
- 1 large white onion sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Lean flank steak sliced , or *sub canned black beans
- 10 to 12 flour tortillas (*or sub almond or cassava flour tortillas)
- 1 packet of natural fajita seasoning
- Fresh salsa or pico de gallo to serve
- Optional side dish: cilantro lime cauliflower rice or quinoa
- Optional side: juice of 3 limes, dash of salt, handful of fresh cilantro, 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
For the fajitas in a medium or large pan, sauté onions and peppers in olive oil for about 3 to 5 minutes or until translucent. Then add the steak and 2 to 3 pinches of fajita seasoning and cook until the steak is browned on both sides or until desired doneness is reached ( about 4 to 7 min each side). If using black beans, cook until mixture is heated through. Add the mixture to heated tortillas of choice and serve with fresh salsa, jalapenos, or lime wedges. On the side: cook cauliflower rice or white rice as directed by package. Then add about 1 to 2 tbsp of melted coconut oil, juice of 2 to 3 limes, salt to taste, and a handful of fresh chopped cilantro. Use cauliflower rice,almond, or cassava flour tortillas to make your meal keto/paleo/and gluten free.
Approximately 510 calories, 22 g protein, 13 g sugar for 2 steak tacos with 4 oz fajita mixture
Approximately 326 calories, 10 g protein, 12 g sugar for 2 veggie tacos with 4 oz cup fajita mixture